"We will blow your farmin' mind!"




Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lucky Duck Farm finds its home at Spirit Reins

It is so amazing to me how everything in the universe is so connected, and how all the things, big and little, I have experienced in my life have brought me to this very moment in time to be doing exactly what I am doing...starting from a dream, Lucky Duck Farm.

Yesterday my sidekick in this organic farm project, Sara aka Chief {which is what she has decided will be her "farm name"} drove out to Liberty Hill to meet with my friend Rhonda who owns Spirit Reins ranch and has graciously offered us the opportunity to start Lucky Duck Farm on her ranch. Our goal was to choose the actual plot that will be Lucky Duck Farm and take some soil samples to be sent off to a lab in Edinburg, Tx to get to know our soil, what's in it and more importantly what is not in it that we may need to add. Carol Ann of Boggy Creek Farm told me how very important it is, especially if I want to be a true organic farmer, to know my soil and love my soil..."take care of the soil and it will take care of the plants." I was listening Carol Ann, and still am.

Spirit Reins ranch is such a beautiful place and in my dreams I have known the spot I would choose if I was given the choice, not thinking that would be the case. However, once we arrived we were given the chance to just go ride around and look and CHOOSE our spot. we jumped in the "ranch mobile" ( I call it that because I have no idea what it is actually called) I am not sure at that point what I was most excited about doing...choosing the farm location or driving that thing...I think they both made me so happy I was not even sure I could contain myself and I actually think Sara and I were giggling all the way out to the back pond - which is the spot I have been dreaming about. We got out began to just walk around the area over to the pond and then back through the open part of this pasture to where the soil begins to get more fertile and things are growing like crazy and standing there very tall and proud is a huge pecan tree. As we walked and got more excited I looked over to that tree, not yet knowing it was a pecan tree and said...we need to build a tree house type structure in and around that beautiful tree...then we both really got excited and giggly again...yes, giggly...I am telling you the happiness I felt being out there was something I have not felt in a long time and I am pretty sure Sara felt the same, although she does have a new boyfriend...however, that is happiness on a different level. It was good and we both needed that moment and I so look forward to many more happy moments at Lucky Duck Farm...because it is going to be amazing.

Long story short, Rhonda came back out with us and told us we could have that spot and had a few suggestions about taking out some cedars and a few other things. Other than that, Rhonda is letting us do our thing, for which I am eternally grateful and this will come full circle for her and her ranch. My vision is to only enhance and make more beautiful the area on her ranch that will be home to Lucky Duck Farm. It will be as beautiful to the eye as it will be to the heart with it's mission to teach and grow and give. I have been wanting to paint again...this time it will just be painting with plants and soil and a treehouse and walkways and a meditation garden...and whatever else becomes clearer in our vision.

Sara used her enormous "guns" to dig a few holes to take soil samples and then we took some photos. I really wanted to be able to leave something there, hang a sign or something...however, being there was enough. Two of the horses came down to drink out of the pond while we were taking photos and we approached them and petted one of them...it is a cool moment as if they were welcoming us.

There are many questions that seem to be popping up every day. We do not know the answers right now, and are only focusing on what is right in front of us. There are many people who expressed an interest in helping in various ways. We will now begin to process of defining what will be our next steps and enlisting help from those we want to share this journey with...not all who offer help will be helpful and it will be necessary to keep negativity out of this project and certainly away from the actual farm. That will be part of my duties as "Head Lucky Duck"...bring it.

And so, now that Lucky Duck Farm has found its home at Spirit Reins...the true journey begins...stay tuned.

Tammy Stanley
{Lucky Duck Farm}
We will blow your farmin' mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment